NASCAR may still be without fans, but that does not mean there was not a good show at Atlanta Motor Speedway, a track that has had history, a track that has been known for some great finishes in the past, and a track where redemption and tributes are made.
Kevin Harvick has won the Folds of Honor QuikTrip 509 at Atlanta Motorspeedway for Stewart-Haas Racing. The 4 Busch Light For The Farmers Ford Mustang led a race high 151 laps. This is Harvick’s second win of the season, his third at Atlanta Motor Speedway and his 51st Cup Series victory. While Harvick finished in the top five, the rest either struggled or ran into trouble. Aric Almirola finished 17th in the 10 Smithfield Mustang, and Rookie Cole Custer finished 19th in the 41 HaasTooling.com Ford. Clint Bowyer was a favorite to win and led 58 laps. However, a tire issue near the end cost him a top ten finish. Bowyer finished 20th in the 14 Busch Light For The Farmers Ford.
Joe Gibbs Racing had strong Toyotas all day long, but they just could not finish the job. Kyle Busch led seven laps and finished second in the 18 M&M’s Fudge Brownie Toyota Camry. Martin Truex Jr would lead 65 laps, sweep both stage one and two while finishing third in the 19 Auto Owners Insurance Camry. Denny Hamlin did not leap a lap but was in the top ten for most of the day. The 11 FedEx #SupportSmall Toyota finished fifth. Erik Jones was in the top ten, but car troubles had the 20 STANLEY Toyota finish 28th.
Team Penske had all their cars finish in the top ten today. Ryan Blaney led two laps and finished fifth in the 12 Advance Auto Parts Mustang. Defending Atlanta winner last year in Brad Keselowski led five laps and finished ninth in the 2 Autotrader Ford. Joey Logano led 10 laps while rounding out the top 10 in the 22 Shell Pennzoil Mustang.
Hendrick Motorsports was either having a great day, or a day in which they would like to Forget about. Five time Atlanta winner Jimmie Johnson gave the command before the race and finished seventh in the 48 Ally Chevrolet Camaro. However, Jimmie missed the chance to draw for Wednesday’s race at Martinsville as he just missed being in the top 12 in points. Pole Sitter Chase Elliott led 26 laps and finished eighth in the 9 NAPA Auto Parts Camaro. Alex Bowman was silent throughout the day, never really contending. The 88 Axalta Chevy finished 12th. William Byron Started 20th, but hit the wall during the early parts of the race and never recovered from the damage. The 24 Liberty University Camaro finished 33rd.
Kurt Busch had a very eventful day as the The 1 Monster Energy Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE for Chip Ganassi Racing failed pre-race inspection three times, and was sent to the rear of the field for the start. Busch then had to serve a pass through penalty for the infraction before the green flag dropped. However, Busch would rally to lead a lap, and finish sixth after a weird day in his eye. His teammate, Matt Kenseth, finished 15th in the 42 Credit One Bank Camaro.
There were a number of tributes and a scare during the day as well. First, before the drop of the green flag, NASCAR Halted the field while President Steve Phelps delivered a message to the teams and fans watching at home on how the sports will work with racial equality ever since the death of George Flyod. After the race, Kevin Harvick would go around the track paying tribute to Dale Earnheardt Sr. Just like he did when he beat Jeff Gordon by inches during the 2001 race.
Finally, there was a scary moment when Richard Petty Motorsports driver Bubba Wallace who finished 21st in the 43 McDonald’s Chevy, passed out while getting interviewed by FOX Sports Reporter Jamie Little. Luckily, Wallace was alerted and is now ok.
The next race is the Blue EMU Maximum Pain Relief 500 at Martinsville Speedway, where Brad Keselowski looksto defend his victory from last season. The race is scheduled for Wednesday night at 7pm on FOX Sports One.
FOLDS OF HONOR/QUIKTRIP 500 RESULTS:
- Kevin Harvick 4 Busch Light #ForTheFarmers Ford Mustang Stewart-Haas Racing
- Kyle Busch 18 Fudge Brownie M&M’s Toyota Camry Joe Gibbs Racing
- Martin Truex Jr. 19 Auto-Owners Insurance Toyota Camry Joe Gibbs Racing
- Ryan Blaney 12 Advance Auto Parts Ford Mustang Team Penske
- Denny Hamlin 11 FedEx #SupportSmall Toyota Camry Joe Gibbs Racing
- Kurt Busch 1 Monster Energy Chevrolet Camaro Chip Ganassi Racing
- Jimmie Johnson 48 Ally Chevrolet Camaro Hendrick Motorsports
- Chase Elliott 9 NAPA Auto Parts Chevrolet Camaro Hendrick Motorsports
- Brad Keselowski 2 Autotrader Ford Mustang Team Penske
- Joey Logano 22 Shell/Pennzoil Ford Mustang Team Penske
- Austin Dillon 3 Symbicort Chevrolet Camaro Richard Childress Racing
- Alex Bowman 88 Axalta Chevrolet Camaro Hendrick Motorsports
- Ricky Stenhouse Jr. 47 Nos Energy Drink/Kroger Chevrolet Camaro JTG-Daugherty Racing
- Ryan Newman 6 Progressive Ford Mustang Roush-Fenway Racing
- Matt Kenseth 42 Credit One Bank Chevrolet Camaro Chip Ganassi Racing
- Tyler Reddick (R) 8 Roland Chevrolet Camaro Richard Childress Racing
- Aric Almirola 10 Smithfield Ford Mustang Stewart-Haas Racing
- Christopher Bell (R) 95 Rheem Toyota Camry Leavine Family Racing
- Cole Custer (R) 41 HaasTooling.com Ford Mustang Stewart-Haas Racing
- Clint Bowyer 14 Busch Light #ForTheFarmers Ford Mustang Stewart-Haas Racing
- Bubba Wallace 43 McDonald’s Chevrolet Camaro Chip Ganassi Racing
- Chris Buescher 17 Fastenal Ford Mustang Roush-Fenway Racing
- John Hunter Nemechek (R) 38 YANMAR Ford Mustang Front Row Motorsports
- Michael McDowell 34 Fr8 Auctions Ford Mustang Front Row Motorsports
- Matt DiBenedetto 21 Knauf Insulation/Menards Ford Mustang Wood Brothers Racing
- Ryan Preece 37 Kroger Chevrolet Camaro JTG-Daugherty Racing
- Corey LaJoie 32 Built Bar Ford Mustang Go Fas Racing
- Erik Jones 20 Stanley Toyota Camry Joe Gibbs Racing
- Ty Dillon 13 GEICO Chevrolet Camaro Germain Racing
- Brennan Poole (R) 15 Spartan Mosquito Pro Tech Chevrolet Camaro Premium Motorsports
- Daniel Suárez 96 Coca-Cola Toyota Camry Gaunt Brothers Racing
- Quin Houff 00 UNITS Chevrolet Camaro StarCom Racing
- William Byron 24 Liberty University Chevrolet Camaro Hendrick Motorsports
- Josh Bilicki (R) 27 Insurance King Ford Mustang Rick Ware Racing
- Garrett Smithley 53 Hero Box Chevrolet Camaro Rick Ware Racing
- J.J. Yeley 77 Greenville Swamp Rabbits Chevrolet Camaro Spire Motorsports
- Reed Sorenson 7 Chevrolet Camaro Tommy Baldwin Racing
- Joey Gase 51 LifeLink/Donate Life Ford Mustang Rick Ware Racing
- Timmy Hill 66 RoofClaim.com Toyota Camry MBM Motorsports
- B.J. McLeod 78 Circle Track Warehouse Race Parts Chevrolet Camaro B.J. McLeod Motorsports