The final race for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup series in the round of 16 was at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval in a race to get that 12th spot.
Chase Elliott has won the Bank of America Roval 400 in the 9 NAPA Chevrolet Camaro for Hendrick Motorsports. Elliott locked himself into the round of 12 early on by winning stage two. Elliott led 35 of 109 laps, got his third win of the season, his first at the Roval, and the sixth of his career.
His Hendrick teammates had a pretty good day as well. Alex Bowman in the 88 Nationwide Retirement Plans Chevy just made it into the round of 12 by one point and finished second. Bowman also had an altercation with Bubba Wallace after the race. Busch pole sitter and playoff contender William Byron in the 24 UniFirst Chevy led 23 laps and would finish sixth. Non playoff contender Jimmie Johnson in the 48 Ally Chevy finished ninth.
Stewart-Haas Racing had two cars advance to the round of 12, but one would just miss the cut. Playoff contender Kevin Harvick in the 4 Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwiches Ford Mustang led 34 laps and finished third. Clint Bowyer in the 14 Rush Truck Centers/Cummins Ford who before this race was below the cut off line led two laps and finished fourth advancing to the round of 12. Aric Almirola in the 10 Smithfield Ford would not be as lucky however as he just missed the round of 12 by a few points. Non playoff contender Daniel Suarez in the 41 Haas Ford wrecked on the final lap and finished 34th.
Joe Gibbs racing had a crazy day and had one driver eliminated from playoff contention. Martin Truex Jr was already locked in after his first two wins of the season. The 19 Bass Pro Shops/Tracker ATVs/Boats Toyota Camry led a lap and finished seventh. Playoff contender Denny Hamlin finished 19th in the 11 FedEx Freight Toyota. Kyle Busch in the 18 Hazelnut Spread M&M’s Toyota suffered a suspension failure finishing 37th. Erik Jones needed a win to get in as he was a lot of points behind, but the 20 Craftsman Toyota crashed on the first lap, eliminating his from the round of 12 immediately.
One of the Chip Ganassi Racing drivers made it, while the other one came up short. Kyle Larson in the 42 Clover Chevy led five laps, claimed stage one and finished 13th advancing to the round of 12. Kurt Busch in the 1 Monster Energy Chevy was not luck however as he spun out later on during the race and had trouble passing all day long. Busch finished 20th.
Roush Fenway had their one car get eliminated from the playoffs. Playoff contender Ryan Newman in the 6 Performance Plus Motor Oil Ford Mustang was involved in a wreck twice, but kept on fighting till the end. Newman would lock the breaks up however and Almirola would pass him ruining his chances of making the playoffs. Due to the damage, Newman would finish 32nd ending his round of 12 hopes. His teammate Ricky Stenhouse Jr who will be released after this season from Roush Fenway Racing finished 17th in the 17 Sunny D Ford.
Team Penske had all their cars advance. Playoff contender Brad Keselowski in the 2 Alliance Truck Parts Ford led three laps and finished fifth. Defending winner and playoff contender Ryan Blaney in the 12 Duracell Optimum/Menards Ford finished eighth. Playoff contender and deafening champion Joey Logano in the 22 Shell/Pennzoil/AutoTrader Ford led four laps and finished 10th.
The next race will be at Dover International Speedway to start the round of 12 in which we will see if Chase Elliott can defending his 2018 win.
- Chase Elliott 9 NAPA Auto Parts Chevrolet Camaro Hendrick Motorsports
- Alex Bowman 88 Nationwide Retirement Plans Chevrolet Camaro Hendrick Motorsports
- Kevin Harvick 4 Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwiches Ford Mustang Stewart-Haas Racing
- Clint Bowyer 14 Rush Truck Centers/Cummins Ford Mustang Stewart-Haas Racing
- Brad Keselowski 2 Alliance Truck Parts Ford Mustang Team Penske
- William Byron 24 UniFirst Chevrolet Camaro Hendrick Motorsports
- Martin Truex Jr. 19 Bass Pro Shops/Tracker ATVs/Boats Toyota Camry Joe Gibbs Racing
- Ryan Blaney 12 Duracell Optimum/Menards Ford Mustang Team Penske
- Jimmie Johnson 48 Ally Chevrolet Camaro Hendrick Motorsports
- Joey Logano 22 Shell/Pennzoil/AutoTrader Ford Mustang Team Penske
- Matt DiBenedetto 95 Toyota Express Maintenance Toyota Camry Leavine Family Racing
- Michael McDowell 34 Love’s Ford Mustang Front Row Motorsports
- Kyle Larson 42 Clover Chevrolet Camaro Chip Ganassi Racing
- Aric Almirola 10 Smithfield Ford Mustang Stewart-Haas Racing
- Ty Dillon 13 GEICO Military Chevrolet Camaro Germain Racing
- Paul Menard 21 Motorcraft/Quick Lane Tire & Auto Center Ford Mustang Wood Brothers Racing
- Ricky Stenhouse Jr. 17 Sunny D Ford Mustang Roush-Fenway Racing
- Chris Buescher 37 Velveeta Chevrolet Camaro JTG-Daugherty Racing
- Denny Hamlin 11 FedEx Freight Toyota Camry Joe Gibbs Racing
- Kurt Busch 1 Monster Energy Chevrolet Camaro Chip Ganassi Racing
- Ryan Preece (R) 47 Kroger Chevrolet Camaro JTG-Daugherty Racing
- Ross Chastain 15 Empire Auto Group Chevrolet Camaro Premium Motorsports
- Austin Dillon 3 Jack Daniel’s Chevrolet Camaro Richard Childress Racing
- Bubba Wallace 43 LeithCars.com Chevrolet Camaro Richard Petty Motorsports
- Matt Tifft (R) 36 Louis Kemp Crab Delights Ford Mustang Front Row Motorsports
- Parker Kligerman 96 Toyota Racing Development 40th Anniversary Toyota Camry Gaunt Brothers Racing
- Corey LaJoie 32 Samaritan’s Feet Ford Mustang Go Fas Racing
- Landon Cassill 00 Coladka Chevrolet Camaro StarCom Racing
- J.J. Yeley 51 Jacob Companies Chevrolet Camaro Rick Ware Racing
- Timmy Hill 66 Duracap Asphalt Toyota Camry MBM Motorsports
- Joe Nemechek 27 Chevrolet Camaro Premium Motorsports
- Ryan Newman 6 Performance Plus Motor Oil Ford Mustang Roush-Fenway Racing
- Daniel Hemric (R) 8 Caterpillar Next Gen Excavator Chevrolet Camaro Richard Childress Racing
- Daniel Suárez 41 Haas Ford Mustang Stewart-Haas Racing
- David Ragan 38 Citgard Heavy Duty Engine Oil Ford Mustang Front Row Motorsports
- Garrett Smithley (R) 52 Victory Lane/Kendall Oil Ford Mustang Rick Ware Racing
- Kyle Busch 18 Hazelnut Spread M&M’s Toyota Camry Joe Gibbs Racing
- Josh Bilicki (R) 53 AQRE.app Chevrolet Camaro Rick Ware Racing
- Reed Sorenson 77 Aquesta Bank Chevrolet Camaro Spire Motorsports
- Erik Jones 20 Craftsman Toyota Camry Joe Gibbs Racing
Ian O’Brien is a Contributor for the Unwrapped Sports Network website. Follow him @Ianthekicker41 on Twitter.