The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series went to their second road course of the season at the 2.45 mile Watkins Glen International Speedway and it felt like 2018 again with the finish.
Chase Elliott has repeated as the winner of the GoBowling at the Glen. Elliott’s 9 NAPA Chevrolet Camaro for Hendrick Motorsports claimed the Busch Pole, won both stages and led a race high 80 laps holding off Martin Truex Jr just like he did in 2018. This is Elliott’s second win of the season, his second at Watkins Glen, and his fifth of his career.
The other drivers were very up and down throughout the day. Alex Bowman in the 88 Axalta Chevy finished 14th, Jimmie Johnson looked like he was going to finish in the top ten until him and Ryan Blaney in the 12 PPG Ford Mustang got together. Johnson in the 48 Ally Chevy would finish 19th. Both him and Blaney exchanged words. William Byron in the 24 Hendrick Autoguard Chevy finished 21st.
Joe Gibbs Racing had a good day on the track. Martin Truex Jr in the 19 Shops/Tracker ATVs/Boats Toyota Camry led one lap and finished second. Denny Hamlin in the 11 FedEx Cares Toyota finished third, and Erik Jones in the 20 DeWalt Toyota finished fourth. The only car to finish outside the top ten was Kyle Busch who had himself an afternoon. Busch was spun out by William Byron, would then retaliate pushing him through the bus-stop, but then Byron would ram into the 18 Hazelnut M&M’s Toyota. Busch would then beat and bang with the 43 Victory Junction Chevy of Bubba Wallace who would then wreck Busch getting a standing ovation. Busch finished 11th.
Chip Ganassi had their two cars finish in the top 10. Kyle Larson in the 42 McDonald’s Chevy led six laps and finish eighth. His teammate, Kurt Busch, in the 1 Monster Energy Chevy finished 10th.
Paul Menard in the 21 DutchBoy/Menards Ford Mustang for Wood Brothers Racing led three laps and finished 18th.
Matt DiBenedetto in the 95 Procore Construction Software Toyota for Leavine Family Racing had another great week finishing sixth.
The next race will be the Consumer Energy 400 at Michigan International Speedway Where June winner Joey Logano looks to sweep Michigan in 2019.
Results: GoBowling at the Glen
- Chase Elliott 9 NAPA Auto Parts Chevrolet Camaro Hendrick Motorsports
- Martin Truex Jr. 19 Bass Pro Shops/Tracker ATVs/Boats Toyota Camry Joe Gibbs Racing
- Denny Hamlin 11 FedEx Cares Toyota Camry Joe Gibbs Racing
- Erik Jones 20 DeWalt Toyota Camry Joe Gibbs Racing
- Ryan Blaney 12 PPG Ford Mustang Team Penske
- Matt DiBenedetto 95 Procore Construction Software Toyota Camry Leavine Family Racing
- Kevin Harvick 4 Busch Beer Ford Mustang Stewart-Haas Racing
- Kyle Larson 42 McDonald’s Chevrolet Camaro Chip Ganassi Racing
- Brad Keselowski 2 AutoTrader Ford Mustang Team Penske
- Kurt Busch 1 Monster Energy Chevrolet Camaro Chip Ganassi Racing
- Kyle Busch 18 Hazelnut M&M’s Toyota Camry Joe Gibbs Racing
- Aric Almirola 10 GoBowling Ford Mustang Stewart-Haas Racing
- Chris Buescher 37 Cottonelle Chevrolet Camaro JTG-Daugherty Racing
- Alex Bowman 88 Axalta Chevrolet Camaro Hendrick Motorsports
- Ricky Stenhouse Jr. 17 Acronis Ford Mustang Roush-Fenway Racing
- Michael McDowell 34 Long John Silver’s Ford Mustang Front Row Motorsports
- Daniel Suárez 41 Haas Ford Mustang Stewart-Haas Racing
- Paul Menard 21 DutchBoy/Menards Ford Mustang Wood Brothers Racing
- Jimmie Johnson 48 Ally Chevrolet Camaro Hendrick Motorsports
- Clint Bowyer 14 Rush Truck Centers/Haas CNC Ford Mustang Stewart-Haas Racing
- William Byron 24 Hendrick Autoguard Chevrolet Camaro Hendrick Motorsports
- David Ragan 38 MDS Ford Mustang Front Row Motorsports
- Joey Logano 22 InstaCash/MoneyLion Ford Mustang Team Penske
- Matt Tifft (R) 36 Maui Jim/Surface Sunscreen Ford Mustang Front Row Motorsports
- Ryan Newman 6 Acronis Ford Mustang Roush-Fenway Racing
- Parker Kligerman 96 Toyota Racing Development 40th Anniversary Toyota Camry Gaunt Brothers Racing
- Ross Chastain 15 Chevrolet Camaro Premium Motorsports
- Bubba Wallace 43 Victory Junction Chevrolet Camaro Richard Petty Motorsports
- Landon Cassill 00 StarCom Fiber Chevrolet Camaro StarCom Racing
- Ty Dillon 13 GEICO Military Chevrolet Camaro Germain Racing
- Austin Dillon 3 Bass Pro Shops/Tracker Boats Chevrolet Camaro Richard Childress Racing
- Josh Bilicki (R) Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Rick Ware Racing
- Cody Ware 51 Jacob Companies Ford Mustang Rick Ware Racing
- Corey LaJoie 32 Samaritan’s Feet Ford Mustang Go Fas Racing
- Daniel Hemric (R) 8 Caterpillar Chevrolet Camaro Richard Childress Racing
- Ryan Preece (R) 47 Kroger Chevrolet Camaro JTG-Daugherty Racing
- Reed Sorenson 77 Chevrolet Camaro Spire Motorsports
Ian O’Brien is a Contributor for the Unwrapped Sports Network website. Follow him @Ianthekicker41 on Twitter.